Insomnia is a common sleep disorder which nearly every adult has experienced at some time in their life. Most are just acute cases brought on by stress or a traumatic experience. These cases last for a couple days or weeks and are resolved as you work through the cause. However, some people have chronic cases which last for a month or more. These cases may be caused by other medical conditions or medications.
- Difficulty falling asleep at night
- Waking up during the night
- Waking up too early
- Not feeling well-rested after a night’s sleep
- Daytime tiredness or sleepiness
- Irritability, depression or anxiety
- Difficulty paying attention, focusing on tasks or remembering
- Increased errors or accidents
- Ongoing worries about sleep
- Physical exam & blood tests to determine if an underlying medical condition is the cause of your insomnia such as thyroid disorder or other diseases
- Review of sleep habits to determine you sleep-wake pattern and if other activities such as caffeine, late night meals, or late night screen time may be the cause
- A sleep study maybe necessary once other causes have been ruled out to determine if conditions such as sleep apnea or restless legs syndrome may be the cause
CBD & Insomnia
A study posted in the National Institutes of Health US National Library of Medicine website looked at the effects of CBD on anxiety and sleep disorders. Anxiety scores decreased within the first month in 79.2% of the patients and remained decreased during the study duration. Sleep scores improved within the first month in 66.7% of the patients.